Work it Out the Best You Can: Long Distance Relationship Tips
Apr 19, 2019
Research shows that most of the people involved in long distance relationships eventually break up. A long distance relationship is challenging and difficult. So, for all those who are in love and have their beloved miles away, here are some tips in this regard.
If you're in love with somebody, you will swim the stream, you will climb the mountain, you will slay the dragon ... ― Dr. Phil
Just like any other average relationship, a long distance relationship involves two people who love and care for each other, share interests in each others lives, and want to spend rest of their lives together. But being in one isn't easy and has its own difficulties.
Though with the advent of new technologies, like cell phones, airplanes, online dating services, etc., one can talk anytime to their partner or can cover miles of distance in a few hours, the long distance relationship takes away the charm of seeing each other frequently or the desire to be intimate whenever you want.
However, if you have strong trust, commitment, and communication with your partner, maintaining one is not that difficult. In fact, people in this type of a relationship learn to be more open, appreciative, and independent.
Tips for Making it Work
Though nothing can beat love and a true desire to make a relationship work, here are some tips that will help to strengthen your bond with your partner and achieve everlasting love in your life.
● It is important that your partner and you establish some rules and parameters to guide your relationship. These rules may include a commitment of not dating or flirting with others, regular communication, and seeing each other personally at least once in every 2 - 3 months.
Emails, instant messaging, frequent calls are some of the easiest ways to communicate with your loved one.
● Don't hesitate to express your feelings to your partner, as this will increase the growth and stability of your relationship. Another way to enhance your its stability is to reassure your partner again and again about your commitment and love.
● Sending special care packages to your beloved will surely bring a smile on his/her face. The package may include books, music, preserved roses, pictures of you, a personalized poem, Hershey's Hugs and Kisses, gift cards, etc.
To give it a personal touch, like if you are sending a book, make sure your partner is passionate about that book, or if you are sending music, write about the songs which makes you think of him/her, or if you are sending your pictures, hold a sign in one of the pictures saying 'I Love You'.
● Don't make assumptions, and always be very clear about your relationship. Never assume that your partner will be knowing your feelings without you sharing them with him/her. Good or bad, share what you feel.
Share your ambitions, fears, likes and dislikes with your partner, as this may encourage him/her to share something deeper with you also. Hence, assumptions kill relationships, while clear communication helps them succeed.
● Low self-esteem and lack of trust can actually ruin a successful relationship. 'I will fully trust a person until they give me a reason not to', this philosophy works really well in long distance relationships, as unnecessary doubts, insecurities, and tensions can ruin or spoil your relationship forever. Trust and honesty are the key factors.
● Meeting regularly or dating is essential to build a strong bond. As discussed before, it is vital to set parameters on certain things, like when and how often will you both meet.
Make sure nothing interferes when you settle on a date, because by canceling it you may end up sending a wrong message that he/she is not a priority in your life. In fact, you should be canceling other events in order to meet your beloved.
● Think of the things that you can do to surprise your partner and show them how thoughtful and adorable you can be. After all, who doesn't love surprises! You can publish a classified ad in his/her local newspaper with a sweet and lovely message or plan an unexpected trip to see your partner.
You can also send a number of gifts corresponding to the number of weeks left for you to see each other. Like if there are 6 weeks left, you can send 6 gifts, each one numbered.
This will grow anticipation, love, and increase your creative and thoughtfulness skills in your partner's eyes.
A long distance relationship can work and end up eventually with the couple getting married to each other. This is only if you both love, trust, respect, and have a pure desire to be with each other. Its success mainly depends upon whether the two people involved adopt the 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' or the 'out of sight, out of mind' philosophy.
We hope for all those who are in love and miles apart from their beloved, these tips will help them in building their relationship strongly, and make it survive and blossom successfully.