It is one thing to be hopelessly in love with your partner, and a completely different thing to be obsessed with them! Love is a feeling, which is strengthened by companionship and friendship. Obsession, on the other hand, is all about controlling and possessing your partner.
Not many realize this, but just as an excessive craving for alcohol is called alcohol addiction and needs to be treated immediately, an uncontrolled urge to become obsessed with one's partner is termed as love addiction. Yes! just like any other obsessive compulsive disorder, it needs treatment too.
The love addiction symptoms given here will help you identify this problem and seek immediate medical attention.
In such a case, it does not take long for a person to lose touch with reality. Such a person lives in his illusionary world, and due to his obsessive attachment, may experience a lot of suffering or may resort to unacceptable behavior.
Another case is what we see in relationships. When one of the partners becomes terribly possessive of the other, he makes it almost impossible for the other one to live freely. The obsessive partner starts to control the life of the other, gets jealous without any rhyme or reason, and may try to isolate his partner from all friends and family.
Knowing the signs of this disorder is very important so that steps can be taken to get over this relationship issue. Here are the most commonly observed signs.
- A string of unsuccessful relationships
- Inability to survive without a relationship, leading to one relationship after another
- Lack of care, love, and attention during childhood, leading to obsession
- A lot of anger inside due to abnormal childhood
- Hiding sensitivity, emotionality, and pain from others
- A feeling of loneliness and detachment from everybody
- Inability to trust anyone
- Perceiving sex and love as being equal to basic needs such as food
- Living a double life
- Trying to control and manipulate others
- Avoiding all kinds of problems
- Using love, relationships, and sex to compensate for failures in life or to get over pain
- Readiness to do, give up, or sacrifice anything to hold on to a relationship
- Maintaining a calm exterior to hide the inner turmoil, anxiety, and depression
- Displaying a high risk behavior
- Possessing a frantic personality
- Willing to indulge in sex in return for love
As soon as the signs are recognized, one should start seeking treatment. This disorder is a way to get over one's feelings of inadequacy, emptiness, and loneliness, so, an addicted person should try to get engaged in activities, which add meaning to his life.
Taking up a hobby and working for people in need are some of the ways to beat this problem. Building bonds with friends and nurturing relationships with one's family instead of solely depending upon the romantic partner for emotional fulfillment will do wonders for such addicts.
However, getting over any mental illness on one's own is almost impossible. Moreover, a person might suffer from love addiction withdrawal symptoms too. So, going in for psychotherapy should definitely be looked at to treat this disorder and to ensure healthy relationships in the future!