The telephone is an indispensable tool in the dating game. You do not have to pen down your feelings than make a phone call to lessen the distance between the two of you. Make sure you know how to take full advantage and reap its benefits. Remember that the basic telephone etiquette remains the same.
Starters for a Guy
- Ask her simple open-ended questions which will give her scope to talk more. Do not overdo the questioning or you may end up sounding like an interrogator.
- Steer clear of controversial topics like religion or politics which may start a debate. Also conversations about an ex like, "So why did you break-up with XYZ?" are a strict no-no.
- Compliment her on something she was wearing like her purse or earring, saying, "The earring you had put on this morning looked stunning on you" or "The purse you carried today was very classy."
- Make conversation about some latest news item. You can say something like, "Did you hear about what happened...?"
For the more intellectual kinds, you can also talk about other topics like art and architecture. But be cautious when you venture into something like this. You should start such a topic only if you know enough about them or you might land up embarrassing yourself!
- Another important aspect is to exit gracefully. Don't abruptly end the conversation.
- Talk about what you plan to do tomorrow. Then you can steer the conversation and say "Waiting to see you tomorrow."
You can use any of these starters easily, depending on the situation.
Starters for a Girl
- You can be as charming over the phone as you can be at parties. Like girls, guys too like to be complimented. Tell him "You looked good in that shirt today, the color really suits you."
- You could also compliment him on something he did, like "You really handled the presentation/assignment very well today."
- Talk about the current sports events like soccer. Keep a tab on the latest happenings (even though you might not really be very interested). This will make an excellent conversation starter. Take him by surprise by telling him something he may not know himself.
- If you have seen him engrossed in an activity like playing a sport, dancing, etc., compliment him on it. Ask him "You dance/play like a professional. Do you take classes for this?" Or "How often do you practice?" Or "Wow! You are extremely good at this, ever thought of taking it up as a profession?"
- Talking about a local restaurant that serves amazing food, or a new hangout in the vicinity can also be a good way to start a conversation. You can ask, "Have you eaten at ABC place, they serve the most amazing burgers?"
- The latest movie released, music, etc., can also be a good topic for light discussion.
Humor is an important element in bringing people closer. Girls love guys with a great sense of humor and who can make them laugh. Guys too like to be with someone who has a sense of humor and is light-hearted. Funny phone conversation starters can be risky though, as there is always a chance of being misunderstood or unknowingly hurting sentiments.
But if it works, then nothing like it! It immediately relieves the tension between you two. There are many topics to talk about if you intend to make people laugh.
- You need to be relaxed if you wish to start off a conversation by making the other person laugh.
- You can narrate a funny incident that you experienced. More often than not, the other person will also have some funny experience to narrate.
- You can start by saying funny things that you have done and what situations it has put you in.
- You do not need to mug up funny lines, instead be natural and start your conversation in an unusual way.
- Remember, the aim of being funny is to have a decent conversation. So give the other person a chance to talk as well.
Add interest and vitality in your conversation, and walk your way into his/her heart. All you have to do is call from your cell phone and create a great impression.