A first date can seem quite daunting for some people. Especially for those who have no clue whatsoever about what one should or should not do. Well, luckily for you, we have just the help you need.
Here, you'll get some practical and commonsense advice that you'll agree with, the minute you read them. So, keep your mind clear and get ready to finally understand what you can and cannot do on a first date.
For the Guys
A first date for a guy is as important as it is for a girl. However, there are certain rules that no guy must break. Here is a list of the things that you simply cannot and must not do on a first date. Read them and live by them, and you never know, you'll never feel the need to go on a first date again.
A first date is about meeting a new person and having a good time. Don't ruin this chance by constantly complaining about your work or your boss or anything for that matter.
Make it a point to ask her where she would like to go and what she would like to eat or drink. Don't make those decisions for her. Nobody wants to be around a control freak.
Initiate intimate conversation
However attractive your date is and however confident and suave you are, there are many other things to talk about on a first date, other than sex. So avoid talking about anything related to it.
No matter how much you hear about gender equality and all that, a girl always appreciates a chivalrous man. So, offer to foot the entire bill and only if she insists a lot, agree to split it.
For the Girls
Women, here we'll focus on the tips that you should not do on a first date. These pointers will help you get through the seemingly terrifying ordeal of a first date. Just use these pointers and you're sure to have a fun time.
You don't need to overdress or under-dress. Wear something decent and neutral. You don't want to send out the wrong message on the first date, do you?
Agreed you can play hard to get, but not at the cost of someone else's time. If you cannot avoid being late, then have the courtesy to call and inform that you'll be late.
Talk about kids or about meeting the family
If you have kids, well and good. You need to mention it at the onset. However, he wants to know more about you. So using kids and family as conversation starters on the first date is not really a good idea.
If he's talking about something that you have no idea about or are not really interested in, then either politely tell him that or simply change the topic to something that you both have in common. Pretending to be interested in something that you're not interested in can get you into a lot of trouble.
Eat like a normal human being. You'll be surprised at the number of guys who think that a woman who can eat normally is definitely more desirable than one who starves herself. That being said, don't be a glutton either.
Not offer to pay
He might insist that he pay the bill. He might end up doing it too. But that does not mean you don't even offer to pay. Since it's a first date, going dutch is a fair thing to do, unless he absolutely won't have it.
Whine about your life
Nothing is more unattractive on a woman than a whiney face and a high-pitched voice spelling out how miserable her life is. You'll depress him away.
Talk about your past relationships
They're in the past, so let them stay there. You're out with this person because you want to move on, right? Well, that's not going to happen if you can't stop talking about your ex.
Here are some things that you might find funny, but the probability of your first date turning sour because you did one of these is quite high. So, whatever it is, simply DON'T.
- Spit in public. Who does that? Well, it's been known to happen. So avoid it!
- Snort while you laugh. If you know you have a tendency to do it, try to tone it down a bit.
- Bite your nails. It's a sign that you're nervous and frankly, it's just gross.
- Lick your fingers after the meal. Agreed that the food was good, but please maintain a level of decency.
- Wear your favorite superman T-shirt. Seriously! Take some effort into dressing up. You never know, he or she might be the one for you, but might get put off by your ultra casual clothing and not take you seriously.
- Fart or belch. They are the rudest things that you can do on a first date.
- Sit yapping on your cell phone or sit texting someone throughout the date. It's very annoying to be with someone who is distracted like that.
- Keep constantly looking at your watch. How would you like it if someone thought you were that boring?
- Eat or talk with your mouth open. It's unappealing, disgusting, and very bad table manners.
Those were some very fundamental tips on what not to do on a first date. As you can see, they're mostly commonsense things that need not even be mentioned. So just use these tips and have a wonderful first date!