There are many men and women, who marry thinking that they have met the perfect partner; and later, they realize that they were wrong, and their partner is not even a bit of what they had thought. Though the only thing one thinks about is separation in such cases, a divorce is surely not a decision that should be taken in haste. Margaret Atwood's quote, a divorce is like amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you does explain the aftereffects of ending a marriage.
When to Consider?
When to Consider?
- All married couples will understand that marriage is surely no cakewalk. How much ever you love your spouse, you are sure to have some kind of differences with him/her while living together.
- This is inevitable, and according to some people, necessary to make the marriage stronger.
- To make a marriage work, it is important for couples to understand that it is extremely crucial to put aside their differences, and work towards a single goal.
- However, when one realizes that the one's partner is cheating on him/her or is not ready to take up the responsibilities that marriage brings with it, divorce becomes an inevitable answer.
- If you are considering a separation seriously, the first thing that you need to ask yourself is whether you still love and care about your spouse.
- If the answer to this question is yes, then you must reconsider your decision.
- This is because if you love your spouse, somewhere down the line, you may feel that you have made a mistake.
- Hence, even if you find that your spouse is cheating on you, it is important to give him/her a second chance.
- It is then up to your spouse to accept his/her mistake and promise to be faithful towards you in the future.
- Consulting a marriage counselor may help in saving your marriage.
- Commitment is surely the most important factor that makes a marriage work.
- However, the commitment should not be one-sided, i.e., if you realize that it is only you who have been making compromises and sacrifices in the marriage, then this is not correct.
- Such marriages will not last long, as sometime or the other, you will feel frustrated and used.
- However, rather than filing for a dissolution, talk to your partner about this directly.
- If he/she does not understand this and does not show any signs of change in behavior, then a split may be the only way out.
- Another very important thing that you have to consider is whether the decision is an emotional one.
- In other words, if you just blurted out to your partner during a major argument that you want to get divorced, then your decision may not be the right one.
- You must understand that decisions taken when one is emotionally overwhelmed can cause further problems.
- The decision should be a result of true self awareness, and only when you are sure that you will be able to handle the stress, which accompanies the court proceedings.
- The most important aspect to be considered is about your child.
- One must understand that children are definitely most affected by the separation of parents.
- However, this should not be the only reason for not parting too.
- If children are constantly exposed to situations, where parents are fighting and arguing with each other, this can hurt them more.