Have you ever wondered why communication is important in a relationship? Well, healthy communication brings transparency into any kind of relationship and tackling these issues thus becomes easier.
Communication is rightly defined as the transfer of information from one person to another. There are many ways of communicating with people around us, such as; speaking personally, using the phone and writing letters. Since man is a social animal, communication is his need. It is almost impossible for a person to survive without socializing or communicating with others.
This factor also applies to two people who are in a relation with each other. Even though marriage is known to be the sole phase of responsibility, two persons are equally responsible for each other’s lives in many ways. And when there is no communication between the two, there can be problems like; insecurities, loss of faith, emotional dissatisfaction leading to the loss of interest in the relationship.
Importance of Communication in a Relationship
Relationships are not difficult to maintain, if they involve healthy communication among one other. When each one knows how the other person thinks and feels about certain things, there is more openness and freedom in the relation, thus making it easier to maintain it. Communication is the only means by which you can know about the person you are interested in and when you know the way he/she is, maintaining a relationship with him or her becomes easy.
Among the various styles of communication, the assertive or open style is the most healthy one according to many. There is a feeling of confidence, respect, security and trust, true love and positivity in the relationship when there is assertive communication involved. Open communication lets you build trust in the relationship, which in turn makes way for free communication.
- It is important to speak to your partner as often as you can, in order to have a healthy relationship.
- When you start dating someone, the initial phase is physical attraction, then comes infatuation, then concern, and later a sense of responsibility towards each other. In order to reach this stage of responsibility in a relationship, you need to build a bond of trust and make the other person believe in you.
- When there is trust between you and your partner, there is no possibility of insecurities in the relation. So, make sure you ask him/her, questions such as “how was your day?”, “are you alright?”, “is there something I could help you with”, “do you trust me?”.
Supporting Your Partner
- Communication is the way to show you support your partner. Talk openly to your partner and create space where he/she also can share his feelings with you.
- This is because, the more openly you speak to each other, the closer you become, making it easier to share both good and bad things in your life.
- It is very essential that your partner feels safe and assured when you are in a relationship, because both of you sort of depend on each other. The relationship works as an effective support system, which it can’t in the absence of healthy communication.
- Another reason why communication is important in a relationship is, that communication is the means to earn each other’s love and care. When you like someone and want to move ahead in the relationship, there are various problems you may need to face. One, is that you cannot express what you feel, you can’t convey your feelings to your loved one but you expect that he/she should understand. At times, you start expecting a bit too much from one another.
- When in a relationship, it’s natural to expect some things from your partner, it’s natural to expect your partner’s love and care. But only effective communication can help you make yourself clear about what you want from the relationship. Once both of you know, what the other expects from the relationship, maintaining it is no longer difficult.
- Fights and arguments are also a form of communication, which could bring out the negative in both of you. This form of communication too, in a way, proves useful, as you realize what’s wrong and can then try to make it right. Without communication, there is no clarity of what’s going wrong and where and consequently there isn’t much that can be done to better the relationship.
- Insecurities, faithlessness, misunderstandings, mistrust or doubt are some of the other problems that can be created if there is lack of communication. To save your relationship from these issues, and strengthen it with true love, it is important that you communicate with your partner effectively.
Now you know the importance of communication in a relationship. And by now, you must have realized if something is missing in yours. So, go, speak up, talk it out, express, discuss… communicate and make your relationship happier and healthier.