People in love with INFJs often look for answers to help understand their partners more clearly. If you are an INFJ trying to understand yourself better or getting closer to one, then take a look at this Buzzle post about INFJ relationships and compatibility with other personality types.
“The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.”
~ C.G. Jung
INFJ people are often a mystery to all those around them. They are rarest of the 16 personality types, and develop the most intense and warm relationships. For some personality types, handling relationships can come quite easily, but for INFJs, relationships can be a bit difficult, especially when it comes to initiating.
The first step when you enter a relationship with someone is that you get to know that person better. Before going into details about relationships and compatibility, let us have a quick overview of INFJs and their nature.
Know Your INFJ
INFJ is again one of the 16 personality types that Myres-Briggs Type Indicator sorts into. Quite less for such a huge world population isn’t it? Jokes apart! Let us look at their cognitive functions first.
I – Introversion
INFJs are introverts and quiet. They are more of thoughtful people and think thoroughly while making decisions. They tend to have lesser number of relationships, but strong ones.
N – iNtuition
INFJs are highly intuitive people when it comes to thinking abstractly. This quality allows them to see through a person and build an entire structure, which others might struggle to decipher. That does not mean that they can read minds.
F – Feeling
Here, feeling does not mean emotional. Although, INFJs are emotional. Feeling here means that INFJs use their intuition and feelings to guide them through important decisions rather than just going by the facts.
J – Judging
This function shows that INFJs are contemplative. They are thoughtful and like to think deeply even though they might go by their emotions in the end.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Warm and engaging
- Deep feelers and live for others
- Loyal and trustworthy
- Always desiring to improve relationships
- Great listeners and communicators
- Seek perfect, long-lasting, and serious relationships.
- Take time to open up to people
- Do not like conflicts in relationships
- Tend to be overly emotional and sensitive sometimes
- Can be stubborn
- May expect too much in a relationship
- Cannot leave bad relationships easily
INFJs in Relationships
- INFJs look for long-lasting and serious relationships. They like relationships with depth and meaning rather than casual encounters or short-lived relationships with people. They take their time to find that one person whom they can truly connect with, but when they find that someone, their relationships go up to a level of warmth and sincerity, which most of us can only dream of.
- They are perfectionists and picky when it comes to relationships, which is why they constantly work towards making their relationship a perfect one. This can sometimes backfire too and become frustrating for their partners. Their partners start feeling that they are getting demanding. However, that may be appreciated by some partners because it shows a sincere commitment and care in the relationship.
- They make a wonderful spouse and parent if they find a right partner.
- INFJs are warm, caring, and friendly. They are visionaries, and can see past facades. It is highly probable that you cannot fool them.
- They are good at understanding others’ thoughts and emotions. Because of their serene nature, they can be a pleasant surprise to their partners again and again.
- They are not afraid to show their love for their partners, love them unconditionally. However, they tend to feel the need to be left alone at times; not because they don’t like, but because they need to charge themselves up. After all, everyone wants to see their partners enthusiastic always.
- INFJs see intimacy as nearly spiritual experience. They feel the need to bond with that person emotionally and spiritually. This does not mean that they want to drift away. It might be their least-effective way of showing their feelings. They do not believe in casual encounters, and find it useless and waste of energy. If you are in a relationship with an INFJ, make sure you don’t take this lightly as your partner might be connecting with you on an emotional or spiritual level.
Relationship Compatibility With Other Personality Types
Every person in this world is unique and have their own qualities. This MBTI analysis will work if both are willing to move forward and grow in their relationships. The most compatible personality types with INFJs are:
- ENFP (Extrovert, iNtuitive, Feeling, Perceiving)
- ENTP (Extrovert, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving)
- INTJ (Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging)
- INFJ (Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging)
Out of these four, ENFPs and ENTPs get along with INFJs the best because of their iNtuitive nature even though they are extroverted. INTJs and INFJs are possible good matches for INFJs. They understand themselves and each other well enough as they do not have struggle to know other types. This is mainly because of their initial connection.
When it comes to the least compatible matches, the personalities with strong extroversion with sensing, perceiving, and thinking will not work out well for INFJs. The least compatible of personality types would be:
- ESFP (Extrovert, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving)
- ESTP (Extrovert, Sensing, Thinking, Perceiving)
- ESTJ (Extrovert, Sensing, Thinking, Judging)
- ENTJ (Extrovert, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging)
A prospective partner of an INFJ will have to keep patience and understand their needs of opening up slowly and revealing their inner self. Patience and appreciation is what will keep your relationships long-lasting. Gradually, you will crack that stubborn shell of your INFJ and see their sensitive, creative, and compassionate side that you have been longing to see. After all, who doesn’t feel good to be loved so deeply by someone. So, make sure you get to know your INFJ better, and keep the spark in your relationships alive.
Note: Relationships need time and dedication to be figured out. This analysis will work only if you both are willing and determined to stick around and grow in the relationship.