announcement

Check our homepage for new, visually rich, fast and immersive experiences!

Statistics That'll Give You an Insider View on Online Dating

Online Dating Statistics
In today's world, looking for love is only a click, swipe, or like away. As more and more people are giving online dating a shot, this technical transformation of 'finding love' is a common thing now. In this LoveBondings article, we will provide the statistics for the same.
LoveBondings Staff
"Generally speaking, women who participate in online dating are looking for a long-term relationship, where the men we encountered were not necessarily looking for 'Mrs. Right,' but rather a 'Mrs. Right Now.'"
― Shari Levine, EVP, Current Production: Bravo Media
According to ConsumerAffairs, there are approximately 1000 online dating sites at present, each determined to help you find the 'love of your life'. Most of the matching process on these websites require you to fill our an elaborate compatibility questionnaire. Depending on your answers, you can easily find eligible men/women for a casual friendship or serious relationship.

It has become a common means to meet someone new now more than ever before, regardless of age, gender, race, and financial stature. Forbes claims that as of now, 11% of American adults use a variety of online dating sites to either find someone to date or just hangout with. On the other hand, this number was only about 3% in 2008. That's quite a jump, don't you agree?

So how does the year 2015 look? Well, in order to estimate the future of online dating―which appears brighter than ever―we need to go over the latest statistics; and here they are.
Statistics on Online Dating
An article on comScore states that in July 2013, about 65% of all online daters used to look for a potential date or serious relationship via desktop. On the other hand, the remaining 35% of those used their cell phones to get the task done. Come July 2014, only a year later, the number of mobile-only users increased to a whopping 60%, leaving the remaining 40% still accessing the sites through a desktop.
Although people of different age groups find online dating appealing, 1 in 5 adults between the ages of 25 and 34 years have used it. Via a survey conducted by Pew Internet Center in April-May 2013 gives us a proper age demographic of American adults who have used online dating sites and/or apps.
18 - 24
10%
25 - 34
22%
35 - 44
17%
45 - 54
8%
55 - 64
6%
65+
3%
In another major market segmentation conducted in 2014 by IBISWorld, the results clearly state that online dating is not simply for the young. There are many people, over the age of 34 out there searching as well. And as for people between the ages of 45 and 54, finding a date through conventional methods―college campuses, bars, jobs―is slightly difficult now.
18 - 24
15.2%
25 - 34
33.3%
35 - 44
25.8%
45 - 54
12.1%
55 - 64
9.1%
65+
4.5%
And finally, let's look at the latest research conducted by Statistic Brain in March, 2015.
# of single people in the U.S.
54,250,000
# of people in the U.S. who tried online dating
41,250,000
Male online dating users
52.4%
Female online dating users
47.6%
'Common interests' most important factor
64%
'Physical characteristics' most important factor
49%
Online dating to marriage in last year
17%
Current committed relationships via online dating
20%
'Personality' most important on first date
30%
'Blonde' - the most attracted hair color
32%
Girls' preference - Nice Guys
38%
Guys' preference - Modern Career Girl
42%
The statistics associated with online dating reveal that the number of people trying to find love online is rising in number. However, these facts also warn us about the dangers of careless use of Internet. Therefore, one has to stay careful before putting any personal information on the Internet.
Engagements