Before I get into anything about the connection between flirting and body language, it is important that you understand that flirting is natural. It does not make a man a "player" or a woman "promiscuous". It is only a natural reaction to seeing someone that you find attractive. However, the extent of the flirting and the language used can make a difference.
Flirtatious Body Language in Women
Since the world follows the ladies first rule, I am going to play along. Body language of a flirtatious woman has always been considered an enigma, probably because women prefer to be creative with their expressions. They could try out pickup lines for girls one day, and be the shy girl the next day. Basically, their body language is not easy to read. So, just keep these few tips in mind and you should be fine.
- Crossing the legs while sitting is a classic flirting technique. She may switch the legs as well (à la Basic Instinct).
- Playing with the hair and smiling is another thing that women do involuntarily when they like a guy. So, if she is seen doing this, she most probably is flirting.
- Showing her bare neck and shoulders is a way to entice men as well. Women do it quite often when they are flirting with men.
- When flirting, women maintain eye contact with the man. This prolonged eye contact makes the man listen more intently and get attracted to them.
- Most women play with the round surface of the glass or the plate while flirting with men. The conversation goes on normally, but the hand movement is slow and steady.
- While flirting, women tend to run their palm on their neck. They do this lightly and gently. This brings the man's attention to their neck, and it works as an attraction technique.
- If a woman keeps touching the guy in some way or the other, like stroking his arm or playing with his hair, it is clear that she is flirting.
This cheat code is common for most women. However, women being complicated and difficult to understand, they could mean other things by these activities too.
Flirtatious Body Language in Men
For very long it was believed that only men knew the art of flirting. As such, men's body language while flirting is a little bit more developed and can be stipulated with a bit more certainty.
- The first sign that a man is flirting with you is that he makes the effort to come and talk to you. It is a sweet gesture if you consider the fact that he is probably scared of how you will react.
- Slight and fast raise of the eyebrows when he sees you and a smile when you look back at him is another sign that he is interested in you. This cannot always be observed, but if someone else sees it, they can tell you.
- When flirting, men get macho and manly. They will try to impress the woman by behaving like the alpha male of the clan.
- Guys will fidget with their looks a little bit when they flirt. This may not always happen, but it happens most of the time. The guy will comb his hair, straighten his collar, and dust his sleeves.
- Nervousness is one of the cutest signs that a guy is trying to flirt with you. When a guy gets nervous, it is almost certain that he is interested in the woman and is trying to flirt with her.
- Broadening the shoulders and trying to look as broad and big as he can is a classic sign that he's trying to impress you, as very seldom can guys avoid doing this.
- Guys will also try to maintain physical contact with the woman while flirting with her. However, they need to be a bit more careful, as the woman (even if she is interested) may no like that.
Playful body language should neither be taken very seriously nor too lightly, as it means that the person is interested. However, if it is not appreciated, the decline can be curt and thoughtful. Flirting is common among friends as well. Bottom line is go with the flow and have fun!